GitHub has long been the go-to platform for storing and sharing code. It allows developers from around the world to create code repositories and collaborate on open-source projects. However, you might be asking yourself: is it however price the time and effort?
To respond to this question, we’ve put together a list of essential GitHub statistics in 2023. The ones numbers shed light on the platform’s usage and attainable and the trail it’s going to take one day.
So, listed below are crucial problems you need to learn about GitHub.
The Most Necessary GitHub Statistics
- GitHub has an annual routine income of $1 billion.
- Spherical 100 million builders around the world use GitHub. Nearly all of them are primarily based in the United States, India, and China.
- In 2022, there were over 413 million open-source contributions on the platform.
- Over 90 p.c of Fortune 100 corporations use GitHub.
Faster than we dive into the statistics, it’s the most important to grab the variation between git and GitHub, as the two are incessantly perplexed.
Git is a style keep an eye on software for developers, which lets them keep observe of their changes and revert to a previous phase of the undertaking:
Within the period in-between, GitHub is a platform that facilitates collaboration among developers that use git. It lets them artwork together on construction projects and see each and every other’s changes in real-time:
Now, listed below are some key GitHub statistics about usage:
- In 2022, there were over 3.5 billion contributions to GitHub Duties, which integrated commits, issues, pull requests, and further.
- Over 20 percent of contributions had been made in public repositories. Within the period in-between, the selection of contributions to personal repositories rose via just about 38 percent compared to 2021.
- Within the identical one year, developers up to the moment 50 percent additional prone techniques than in 2021, helping to protected 18 million projects on GitHub.
- 88 p.c of builders who use GitHub Copilot say that it’s serving to them be additional productive and finish projects quicker.
GitHub Copilot is an AI tool that uses human language turns on to generate code concepts and functions. The individual can simply tell the tool what they wish to achieve and it’ll provide the code needed to create that function:
This feature is most likely probably the most many things that make GitHub any such common platform among developers, superseding Bitbucket and GitLab in usage numbers. Spherical 15 million builders use Bitbucket, while GitLab has an estimated 30 million customers.
Every other standout serve as is GitHub Pages, which allows developers to host a static web page in an instant from a repository:
Plus, GitHub is also very protected. Consumers will need to generate SSH keys to get right to use the platform.
GitHub Internet web page Website guests
For the reason that numbers above show, GitHub draws loads of hundreds of developers from around the world. Let’s take a better check out its web page guests and particular person behavior.
We’ve run GitHub by means of HypeStat and the ones are the numbers:
- Spherical 1.5 percent of internet shoppers visit GitHub.
- It’s going to get spherical 14 million visitors and 96,419,713 internet web page impressions in step with day.
- Nearly all of visitors are situated in the united states, China, and India.
- Each particular person visits spherical seven pages and spends more or less seven minutes on GitHub.
The ones GitHub statistics show that the platform has a first-rate engagement value. If truth be told, it has a soar value of merely 37.30 percent:
The ones metrics reflect the collaborative nature of the platform. Developers perhaps spend a lot of time attractive with other shoppers and contributing to different projects.
GitHub has an international particular person base, attracting developers from around the world. The platform provides some attention-grabbing information about its builders and where they come from.
Proper right here’s what everyone knows:
- In 2022, 20.5 million new developers joined GitHub, with essential will building up in shoppers from China, Brazil, and India.
- India has the most important developer community on the platform, amounting to larger than 9 million shoppers.
- World places in Asia Pacific, Africa, South The us, and Europe professional crucial increase in population growth on GitHub.
GitHub moreover provides insights into their customers’ language personal tastes:
- PHP has lowered in popularity, dropping from sixth to seventh place in 2022.
- The Hashicorp Configuration Language (HCL) is the fastest-growing language on GitHub, with a usage increase of 56.1 percent.
- Rust professional a growth value of more than 50 percent, which GitHub attributes to its protection and reliability.
- Python continues to broaden in popularity, with a 22.5 percent increase in step with one year.
This graph displays some of the well-liked programming languages on GitHub and their usage over the last few years:
The rising popularity of machine finding out will perhaps make Python the primary language one day.
GitHub Team of workers
You might be wondering: who’re the people behind GitHub?
In keeping with Craft, the company employs round 5,595 other folks. Within the period in-between, GitHub tells us just a little bit additional about its international worker inhabitants:
- In 2022, the representation of women at GitHub higher via over 40 percent. Women now represent 23.6 percent of senior leaders at the company.
- The selection of black employees grew via 60.3 percent, while the Latinx population higher via 25.5 percent.
- Other minorities at GitHub include Asian (15.6 percent) and Multiracial (4.7 percent).
The ones GitHub statistics reflect the company’s efforts to toughen a additional inclusive and quite a lot of staff.
In 2018, Microsoft won GitHub for $7.5 billion. The platform now generates 1000000000 dollars in regimen source of revenue in step with one year.
GitHub makes most of its money by means of subscription plans and fees on third-party app product sales. It offers 3 forms of subscriptions: Free, Workforce, and Enterprise.
At the time of writing, GitHub’s Workforce plan begins at $3.67 in step with particular person per 30 days:
Within the period in-between, the Enterprise plan starts at $19.25 in step with particular person per 30 days. This package deal is built for massive firms with additional sophisticated construction projects.
Most Common GitHub Repositories
Repositories include all the knowledge associated with a undertaking, along with the revision history of each and every document. GitHub shoppers are ready to get right to use and organize a undertaking by means of its repository.
A couple of of those repositories have as many as 20,000 participants. Listed here are the 5 most popular open-source projects on GitHub:
- microsoft/vscode: Created via Microsoft, this repository is dedicated to increasing the Visual Studio Code product.
- home-assistant/core: A repository for home automation software that prioritizes local keep an eye on and privacy first.
- flutter/flutter: That’s the repository for Flutter, which is Google’s SDK for creating fast particular person tales for cell and web techniques.
- MicrosoftDocs/azure-docs: This contains the open-source documentation of Microsoft Azure.
- microsoft/PowerToys: A repository for PowerToys, which is a set of utilities that permits power shoppers to streamline their House home windows enjoy.
As you’ll see, most of the best projects are backed via large enterprises like Google and Microsoft.
GitHub Stars and Forks
Now, let’s check out GitHub Stars and Forks.
A fork is a reproduction of an present repository. When an individual forks a undertaking, they make a copy of it in their own GitHub account. This way, they are able to make changes to a undertaking without affecting the original repository.
The following image displays the ten maximum forked initiatives on GitHub:
Within the period in-between, stars are ratings given to GitHub projects. Listed here are the best possible 10 initiatives with the best choice of stars:
There are many the explanation why shoppers would possibly select to ‘well-known particular person’ a repository. After all, projects with a first-rate selection of stars generally have top of the range and useful content material subject material.
In the end, let’s check out some GitHub trends and what they suggest for the platform’s longer term.
We’re basing the following predictions on the GitHub statistics presented in this publish:
- With 90 percent of Fortune 100 corporations using GitHub, additional corporations it will be investing in open-source projects one day.
- The a large number of growth of projects like home-assistant/core indicates a expanding pastime among developers in home automation software.
- Python usage all over GitHub has maintained a 22.5 percent annual increase, which is in a position to perhaps get higher because of the expanding pastime in machine finding out.
- The largest projects via contributor rely are maximum often company-led projects, along side microsoft/vscode, flutter/flutter, and vercel/next.js. Because of this many firms will continue using GitHub to boost growth and visibility and engage with global developers.
It moreover looks like China and India will briefly have a developer population that fighters that of the united states. We can moreover expect developer communities across the African continent to continue expanding as an increasing number of firms are making an investment on this area.
The statistics show that GitHub is correct right here to stay. This platform continues to draw loads of hundreds of developers from different corners of the sector, and lots more and plenty of companies are using it to extend open-source projects.
At Kinsta, we offer utility webhosting and database webhosting that can assist you kickstart your undertaking, providing toughen for common programming languages and frameworks. Plus, we make it easy to connect to GitHub and automate undertaking deployments.
Are you ready to start out out using Kinsta and GitHub on your web construction projects? Reach out to our toughen workforce and we’ll let you get started!
The publish Key GitHub Statistics in 2023 (Customers, Staff, and Traits) appeared first on Kinsta®.